Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Western 100 takes some hostages!

Well, first of all, congrats to everyone that gave it their all on what was an EPIC day. 115 degree heat, 100 miles, and a stacked field. Some big name casualties include Jurek, Mackie, Omine.... When it's not your day, sometimes you just need to pack it in and get ready for the next race.

But, saying that, more people finished under 20 hours this year than the previous few. So some of the big guns like the heat and seem to not be affected.

Our own Gary Robbins was going into this race primed! He trained properly, raced fast, and seemed to be at an ideal race weight. He earned his silver buckle finishing around 23 hours. Sometimes the perfect race does not happen (rarely), but we need these races to make us more experienced and stronger in the end!

I spent the day watching Gary, Andy Nicol, and my brother Wade. Wade has had a string of issues at WS100. I thought this was his year. He fought hard to the end. However, at 28:15 he simply ran out of time and had to drop. But like he says, next year if he does not get in the lottery he's not doing WS100!

Ok, I am now just waiting for my free DINNER from Gary......I lied gary, I am hungry!

No comments: